The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recognizes how water damage situations (such as from a flood, leaky or broken pipe, sewage backup, etc.) can be potentially hazardous… not just initially, but over time as well.
Most people think little of finding mold inside their home. After all, a little mold on a piece of bread won’t kill the consumer, so why discard it? The same can be said with mold inside your home. If it is just a little mold, how bad can it really be?
Mold and your Health
Mold is ever-present in our world. It contains tiny spores that commonly grow within household dust. When these mold spores become greater in quantity, they pose a health hazard to humans. As a result, humans face serious health hazards such as respiratory issues and allergic reactions.
Everyone wants the safest, healthiest home environment for their families. You would do anything to protect your loved ones from exposure to any substance that could cause them harm.
Do you know what the EPA says about discarding moldy materials?
It’s not as easy as just tossing them into the trash can, which is what some homeowners might be tempted to do when they try out some “do-it-yourself” mold work.
Interstitial lung diseases, phaeohyphomycosis, chromoblastomycosis, allergies, hair loss and scalp infections are all known to be caused by exposure to cladosporium. It is a genus of fungi that our mold inspection specialists have encountered during examinations of water damaged homes. So we are encouraging all people in our service area that suspect that their buildings may be harboring colonies of cladosporium to read today’s blog and reach out to us right away.
What You Should Know About Mold
Mold is a fast-growing fungus that can spread within 48 hours of water damage. In some cases, like after a flood, the need for restoration is obvious. In other cases, mold can be growing behind your walls without you noticing. Mold spores spread easily and quickly, and mold can grow almost anywhere under the right conditions: on carpet, clothing, cabinets, drywall, in your walls, or even in your ceiling. In addition to being difficult to remove, mold can also produce allergens and, in some rare cases, even toxins. Taking the necessary steps to protect your home against mold, learning to spot the signs of mold, and knowing the negative effects of mold are important to keeping you and your family safe.
DID YOU KNOW that even the healthiest of individuals can still feel negative effects in the presence of some common things around the house?
It’s not something that necessarily has to start growing in the basement of your house after a flood. It’s something that can “just happen” and it’s not good news. But it can be easily fixed.
First of all, what are we talking about? Continue reading “Sensitive to Mold and Other Allergens?”
According to the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine’s research, the presence of fungi in indoor environments may cause the buildings’ human inhabitants to experience infections, allergic reactions and premature death. Although we have to say that accidental death due to mold exposure is extremely rare these days. It’s generally confined to populations with existing, life threatening health problems or weakened immune systems. Further proof of fungi toxicity may be found in scholarly articles published in periodicals like the Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Journal of Occupations Environmental Medicine. With that said, it’s imperative that Americans take the subject of mold cleanup seriously.
Mold is a disturbing health risk. If you come into contact with mold in your Martin home, call a professional’s 24/7 hotline number, such as Regency DRT. They will need to come in and perform a mold removal process. In the meantime, make sure you and none of your family members or friends come into contact with the affected area. Even being in the same room as mold can be a bad idea. If the mold is extensive, it would be a good idea to find another place to live temporarily. However, you choose, make sure you stay protected from the side effects of mold exposure which include throat irritation, coughing, difficulty breathing, numbness or tingling, fatigue, and more. Don’t compromise your health by letting mold dwell in your home. Make sure to visit the doctor’s office if you have any concerns regarding your health.