The weather this year has brought a lot of heavy rains and flooding. When you are a home or business owner in West Palm Beach, Florida, the weather can be frustrating and scary. Homes and businesses are at risk of suffering major structural damage due to hurricanes and flooding on top of many other disasters that could happen.
When it comes to protecting your home or business from storms and natural weather events, prevention is the best medicine. There are several things that you can do to prevent major flooding damage from happening so that you do not have to contact a water damage professional. However, sometimes hiring a water damage restoration team can help you determine if there is, in fact, any unseen damage that could have occurred during a water event.
As far as prevention goes, here are a few tips:
- Start at the source! If you are building a home in an area prone to flooding, use flood-resistant materials. FEMA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have published lists of flood-resistant materials that can be used. Keep in mind that even flood-resistant materials can become damaged, the damage is usually cosmetic and can be repaired quickly. Flood-resistant materials limit the extent of the damage.
- Build at a higher elevation. Homes that are built with the bottom floor above flood level are obviously much less likely to experience flood damage.
- If you are in an area prone to flooding, levees and floodwalls are good barriers to prevent flooding inside the home. Sealing off areas where water can get into the home is helpful too.
- Properly grate your property so that water will drain away from your walls. This is especially helpful if you have a basement as basements are prone to flood damage.
- Clear your storm drains. Keep leaves and debris cleared out of storm drains and gutters. Clogged gutters and storm drains will cause water from heavy rains to puddle. This can cause damage to the outside of your property and let water inside, causing floods.
- In the winter, make sure that snow does not pile up against your property. Any cracks in the foundation’s walls or windows could cause an extensive amount of water to get in the home and cause water damage.
- Check your pipes. Pipes that are not properly insulated in the winter or do not receive proper maintenance can become major causes of property damage. Frozen pipes often expand and burst, causing horrendous water damage, and old pipes break open creating more flooding issues.
Some flooding is unavoidable. But, there are plenty of flooding scenarios that could be avoided with proper planning, maintenance, and care. Don’t let a water damage disaster leave you frustrated and overwhelmed. Take the proper precautions and if you do find yourself in a water damage emergency, contact a professional water damage restoration team that knows how to successfully clean and restore your home or business. Contact an experienced company like Regency DRT!
Call or submit our online form to request an estimate or for general questions about our services. We look forward to serving you!